Today i am going to share with you a non-veg recipe, Yes it is a fish curry!. Last few days because of Vishu celebration we were not eating non-vegetarian food..So today i thought i can prepare some non-veg curry and prepared the fish curry (My hus always prefer fish than chicken). This fish curry is a very easy to prepare,very quick and easy recipe.within minutes u can prepare the delicios currry. We really enjoyed having it with rice.if u add a thoran/mezhukupiratti with this curry; the dinner will be so yummy.
I already mentioned in my previous blogs that we purchase the fish from a Chinese market called Cam Asia. Let me tell you one incident about the fish shopping. We usually purchase fish from this shop twice in a month.Once I bought Tuna (ചൂര) and prepared the curry. While eating, my husband told: "Hey, this is not Tuna, it's mackerel(അയല). (actually here the spanish mackerel and tuna are almost same in shape and color.its hard to distinguish). Frankly speaking he has a very good and sensitive taste buds and also he knows the different taste of fishes as well. I am not that expert. If anybody tells me that this is tuna and it is looks like tuna, I agree with them. But my hus is really good in distinguishing such thing. After marriage i haven't eaten/prepared the mackerel and sardines(മത്തി/ചാള) at home. He doesn't like those fishes especially their smell. I am a great fan of these two fishes..
When we went to the shop last time we checked whether it is tuna or mackerel. Then my hus told that it is not Tuna, it's Mackerel only..I got confused and i asked the shop assistant "which fish is this ? Is it tuna?" He told that he didn't know the name, whatever is written there that might be the fish name. then i told its written as tuna but the fish looks like mackerel. Then he said that he doesn't know anything about these fishes, he just place those fishes there and if you say it's mackerel, i can place them under that name. We couldn't argue with him because he agreed what we said. So we checked all other fishes before buying..because the name is not right as written.., I think they have to sell the mackerel and they placed it under tuna which already sold out. Some business trick. SO, what i want to say is that check before buying otherwise u will also face these kind of experiences.
OK let me share the recipe details.Cooking time: 20 minutes
Fish: 1 medium size
Chili Powder: 2 tbsp
TurmericPowder: 1 tsp
Fenugreek Powder: 1/4 tsp
Ginger: 1 medium size
Green Chili: 3 nos
Coconut: oil: 2 tbsp
Curry Leaves: 1 spring
Redchili: 1 no
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Kokum (കുടന്പുളി) - 1-2 medium size pieces
- Clean the fish inside out and cut them into medium size pieces.
- Soak the kokum into 1 cup of water.
- Make a nice paste of Chili Powder,TurmericPowder,Fenugreek Powder and ginger along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the slitted green chili ,saute for some time then add the paste.saute it for sometime .
- Add the kokum water and let the mix to boil about 5 minutes in medium heat.
- Add the cleaned fish pieces into boiling mix and close the pan and let the fish to cook for 8-10 minute.Once the fish get cooked and the gravy thickens switch of the heat.
- Heat oil in another pan,add mustard seeds,once it started spluttering add the dry red chili and curry leaves.saute for some time and pour this into the fish curry.
- After cleaning the fish wash it with little lemon juice ,u can avoid the bad smell from this.
- Let the curry to boil then only add the the fish pieces .Do not overcook the fish.
- Do not stir using spoon.Just rotate the pan otherwise it will break the fish into pieces.
- You can use raw green mango pieces instead of Kokum.