Hello dear friends, hope all are doing good and enjoying the world cup.
Today I thought i can share with you guys some vegetable recipe: A Thoran (poriyal) - stir fried vegetable with grated coconut. The vegetable I used here is "Cabbage". We always like to have the cabbage in combination with some vegetables. I used to prepare the cabbage and carrot thoran. But here I added "Mung bean" (payar) for this special tasty thoran....Amma used to prepare this thoran for us. My hus also likes this combination ..so this thoran is one of the common one in our menu. The best combination is : This thoran with rice and rasam. Sure it would be an awesome meal for u and ur family. Also you can have this with Chapathi (roti) or you can make a sandwich with this thoran (if you are a sandwich lover).
This is a very healthy dish and easy to prepare one too. For the best result u just soak the moong bean overnight and also make sure that the moong bean is not overcooked while cooking it in the pressure cooker. Just add very little amount of water.One more thing I want to mention here is that when I prepared this thoran I used to add a little amount of fennel seed. My hus really like the flavor of fennel seed. Sometimes I simply add this fennel seed with the crushed coconut mix other wise i crush the fennel along with the coconut mix. If u do not like the strong flavor of fennel, just add the whole fennel with the cocomut mix. Do not use fennel seed for all the vegettable thoran..i used this for cabbage,carrot, beetroot and bean varieties. Actually these veggies and bean with fennel gives nice aroma to the whole dish.Once the thoran is prepared just season it with mustard, dry-red chili and curry leaves.Let me share the details of the recipe.
Whole moongbean: 1/2 cup
Cabbage: 1/4 portion of the medium sized one
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Water: 1/2 cup
Coconut: 1/2 cup
Green chili/Red chili: 2 nos(here i used red chili)
Fennel seed: 8 nos
Cumin seed: 1/2 tsp
Garlic: 1 pod
Oil: 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seed: 1 tsp
Red chili: 1 no
Curry leaves: 1 spring
- Soak the Mung bean overnight.
- Grate the cabbage using a vegetable grater. It should grate the cabbage in thin slices.
- Crush the fennel.cumin,red chili and garlic.If u are using the shredded coconut mix the crushed ingredients with the coconut..keep the mix aside.
- In a pan, cook the grated cabbage along with turmeric powder and salt,just add a very little amount of water.Cook for 3-5 minutes in medium heat.(close the pan and cook)
- Cook the moong bean and 1/2 cup of water in a pressure cooker until 1 whistle.Add some salt too.
- Add the cooked moong bean to the cabbage and mix together and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixture to the moong bean cabbage mix. Stir well. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes in medium heat.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the mustard seed.once the seeds started spluttering add the red chili and curry leaves
- Pour the seasoning into the cabbage payar thoran..mix well
- Do not add more water for cooking the moongbean.
- Just presuure cook until one whistel.If u overcook the bean the taste and texture of the dish would be spoiled
- Do not chop the cabbage, just grate it..
- If u like u can use green chili insted of red chili.