Today’s special is Aloo Methi masala (Potato-Fenugreek leaves Masala) and Beetroot Chapati. Usually for dinner, i always prefer to prepare the kerala style meal, Rice with some veg or non veg sides. Because that's the only time my hus can really enjoy the food. During the breakfast time he will be so hurry to leave to work and lunch time he will be in office. So dinner and weekend meals should be our favorite. that's the reason i always add some specials on these meals like fish fry chicken curry etc..But nowadays my little one is making me so busy. sometimes i couldn’t even find time for cooking. Always he needs his mom to play with him. So today, i thought i can prepare some simple but delicious meal for the dinner. After a minute thought, i decided to make the potato curry and Chapathi. Like to make some variation to both dishes. I usually buy frozen methi leaves form Indian grocery. so thought of combining the healthy leaf with the potato..the dish became Aloo methi in my own style....And for a variety, I made the beet-root chapathi.Very easy and within a short time span i made both the dish.OK lets talk about the recipes..starting with Alloo Methi Masala
Aloo Methi Masala
Potato: 4 nos
MethiLeaves:: 1/2 cup(i used frozen)
Onion: 1 medium
Tomato: 1 small
Green Chili: 1 no
Garlic: 2 pods
Ginger : 1 medium
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seed:1/2 tsp
Cumin seed: 1/2 tsp(optional)
Red Chili: 1 no
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Slice the onion into very thin pieces.Crush the ginger and garlic Chop the green chili.Cut the tomato into 8 pieces.
- In a pressure cooker add enough water and boil the potatoes until 2 whistle.. Let it cool and peel the potatoes .Dice them into medium sized or mash them ..Keep it aside
- Defrost the methi leaves.. (just keep outside for 30 minutes then it will be ready to cook).
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the mustard seed once it started spluttering add the red chili and some curry leaves.Saute for some time .
- Add the ggg’s followed by the red onion.. saute until the onion are transparent.
- Add the tomato pieces and saute for 1 minute..
- Add the Turmeric,Chili,coriander,garam masala and kasoori methi powder and mix with the sautéed ingredients.
- Add the methi leaves and mix all together.. saute well
- Finally add the mashed potatoes.close the pan and let the mix to cook for 3-5 minutes in medium heat..
- Garnish with some curry leaves.
- Here i used the frozen methi.If u use the fresh one just saute/cook for some more time.
- If u don’t like to mash the potato just cook them accordingly.. Here i mashed the potatoes.Both ways it tastes delicious
- According to ur taste bud change the quantity of chili powder.
Beetroot: 1/2 portion of a medium sized beet
Wheat flour: 1 cup
Oil : some
salt : to taste
- Dice the beet and cook them in the microwave for about 5 minutes Add some water and salt..
- Make a paste of the cooked beet.
- In a large sized bowl mix the wheat flour, salt, beet paste and oil together.
- Add enough water and mix it and make a dough with right consistency for the chapati
- Cover the prepared dough with a wet cloth and keep it aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Make medium lemon size balls from the prepared dough
- In a flat surface or flat wooden chapati maker roll them into circular shape.Add the flour while rolling it for not sticking to the surface
- Heat the pan ...Place the rolled dough and just heat up both side (30 sec - 1 min)
- Meantime place the chapati grill(see the picture) on the stove top and heat that and place the half-cooked chapati on it and cook. It will make the chapati so softer and tastier.
- Apply butter/Ghee to the cooked chapathi.. It will give nice flavor..
- Do not add more water to cook the beet-root.. if excess water is there just use that for mixing the flour ..
- If u like u can increase the quantity of the beet.
- Instead of mixing all the ingredients together you can do it separately.First mix and make a dough then add the beet paste and mix together