Today i am going to share with you a delicious evening snack (in Malayalam - nalumany palaharam) "Egg cutlet". A very tasty snack with tea.Eggitarian can really enjoy this snack.I got this recipe idea from chef Lekshmi..It is a very new dish for me. I used to prepare the vegetable and potatoe cutlet.sometimes chicken cutlet too,and also familiar with tuna cutlet but this egg cutlet is a very new idea. For kids it is a best tea time snack.When they come from school if u prepare and give this snack, sure they will have a plate full of cutlets..i am sure u can prepare this within a very short time frame.Another thing is that u can serve this for eggitarian people.we have some friends they are vegetarians but eat eggs.
I always remember amma's evening snacks she used to prepare for us after school..Everyday after school we(me n brother)were so excited to reach home because some good snacks would be waiting for us.The veg/chicken cutlet was one of them. We really enjoyed having those snacks. Still I love to have a snack with evening tea. My husband also need some snacks while having tea. So i used to prepare one or the other snacks for him,after his office.Usually i am not preparing these kind of oily sncaks everyday..i used to make something with bread, aval (poha) or vermicelli. But once in a while you can have this kind of snacks
This is the first time I am trying this and it came out really good. When my husband came from office he had the cutlet and asked "Hey, how did u made this one with egg?, how did u made the egg masala in such a shape?" I usually prepare the cutlet with mixed vegitables or potato(sometimes the shape will be like Australian or Newsland map). But this time it came out with really good shape and he really liked the taste.Within minutes we finished almost 8 of them. It was an awesome snack. Sure i am going to prepare it agaian and again..
While cooking you should be careful that the egg mixture should be the same consistency of the chapathi dough,otherwise it's difficult to make the right shaped cutlets and also while frying it will breaks. It will ruin the entire preparation and hardly get a good result. i made almost 13 medium sized cutlet from 5 eggs.
Hope u guys will try this recipe..Let me talk about the preparation steps.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Egg : 5 nos
Onion: 1 medium size
Green chili: 3 nos
Ginger: 1 medium size no
Coriander leaves : 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
Oil : 2 tbsp
Garam Masla: 1 tbsp
Pepper Powder: 1 tbsp
Bread : 5 slices
Water: 1/2 cup
For the dipping batter
Maida flour: 1/4 cup
Water: 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Salt : to taste
Egg: 1 no
Bread crumbs: 1 cup
Oil: 1/2 cup
mustard seed: 2 no(for testing )
Step1: Preparing the egg masala
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the crushed ginger and green chili.saute for some time
- Once the raw smell goes off add the onion(cut them into very small pieces)..add salt also.Let the onion to fry for 5 minute
- In the pan make some space by moving the onion mix into the sides of the pan..add little oil
- Pour all the egg into the pan.Just cook the egg (what we do for scrambled egg)
- once the egg is almost cooked mix onions with that.Do not dry the egg just keep some moisture on it.
- Add turmeric powder pepper powder and garam masala powder..mix well.Let the mix to cool down for some time.
Step2:Making the masala balls
- Just soak the bread slices in water and squeeze it then add to the egg masala..Add 5-6 bread slices.bread mix will give the egg masala right consistency
- Add the chopped corinader leaves into the masala ..mix all together
- Make lemon sized balls and keep it aside.
Step3: Making the dipping batter
- In a mixing bowl mix the maida flour ,turmeric powder and egg..mix well using hand.
- Add water into the mix and form a dosa consistency batter.Add salt to taste
- Usually the egg whites are used for this purpose..If you use egg whites u have to use 5 0r 6 egg whites.but here there is only one egg is necessary and the maida flour will make the cutlets crispy
Step4: for making bread crumbs
- You can use the store bought bread crumbs otherwise prepare that at home.What i did here is that i just heat the oven for 5 minute and kept 5 slices of bread in the oven for 5 minute,it became very crispy and crushed them using the grinder.the home made bread crumbs are ready
Step5: Preparing the cutlet
- Dip each egg masala balls into the batter and coat with the bread crumbs.
- Make the coated balls into oval shape..
- apply the same procedure for all the masla balls
- Heat oil in a pan.Make sure that the oil get heated ..(just put 1 or 2 mustard seeds ,once it is started spluttering; that means the oil get heated and it is the right time to fry the cutlet).
- Fry the well coated oval shaped cutlet.Fry both sides until get a nice golden-brown color
The Delicious Egg cutlet is ready to have.Have it with tomato ketchup
- Keep some moisture on the scrambled egg
- For making the masla,add as many bread slices u need.i just used 5.first check the consistencuy of the masala and then add more slices accordingly. The masala should be in a chapati dough consistency then only we can make balls from it.