Every one's favorite, right?.. I know this is a must-see item in almost all home’s dining table. Got it?. ya it is every one's favorite side dish -the yummy n tangy Lime Pickle. Today i thought i can share with you guys my grandma’s special Lime Pickle (Naranga achar)Home made pickle always taste good than the store-bought one and the making of the pickle is not that difficult.
About the recipe: It is my grandma’s recipe. She always prepare so delicious pickles and whatever she makes it tastes 100 times better than anyone else’s.. Now she is not with us but we always remember her through her special recipes.My amma is not that expert as my grandma for making these achars (Pickle) and Chammanthi podis.(Chutney Powders). Like my grandma my valiyamma (Amma’s Sister) is also an expert in making pickles..Her pickles are always demanded one in our family.. When my mom came here last summer, she sent both mango and lemon pickle for us. Especially when you are “expecting”, you always crave for these pickles.. yeah. I know it is not that good (having too much of pickle) for health but you cannot control it .Anyway i really enjoyed having it even with my breakfast and finished the whole box with in a short span of time.When amma was here she taught me how to make this pickle.but whenever I prepare the pickle, i used to call and ask her the recipe.
Until came here in USA, I didn’t know that there are differences between lemon and lime. I thought all are same. But when I came here I realized that both are different and they look different, taste different. I think, Lemon is not good for making pickles compared to lime which have more sour taste and less sweet taste.
When we found a bag of lime here in the Kroger I thought of making the pickle because this lime is a seasonal one. So when i saw i asked my hus and he said yes.. He likes amma’s pickle so much.and also .its hard to find such kerala pickles here in any store.. so i always prefer to make it at home.( we tried the store bought also and found the 2 best pickles -Priya’s Lime Pickle and Bedeker’s Mango pickle ).
I can guarantee this one is a very easy to make recipe and u can make it in a large quantity and keep it refrigerated for months.. And one thing u should be careful is that do not use any wet spoons which adds moisture and the pickle very easily get fungus and that spoils the whole pickle..So take small quantity in a container and use that.. And one more thing if u have use the Sesame oil( u can find the same in Indian grocery) ,It gives real and perfect taste and flavor of the pickle and also it helps pickle to last longer
Ok let me tell you how i made thisIngredients
Lime:(cheru naranga) 1 pound
Water : for cooking the lime
Garlic(vellulli): 12 pods
Red chili:(Chumanna Mulaku) 5 nos
Red chili powder:(Mulakupodi) 4 tbsp
Asafoetida Powder(Kayam):1/2 tsp
Salt:(uppu) as required
Sesame Oil(nallenna): 1/4 cup
Vinegar(vinagiri): 1 tsp or as required
Mustard Seed (kaduku): 1 tsp
Curry leaves (kariveppila): 2 sprig
- In a big pan boil enough water and cook the lime in the boiling water until the lime become tender.add enough salt also.
- Cut the lime into 8 pieces(slices) and keep the slices in a airtight container for 2 days.Add salt according to your taste.
- Slice the garlic pods (lengthwise)
- Heat the sesame oil in pan.Add the mustard seed,once it started spluttering add the curry leaves and red chili saute for 30 second
- Add the garlic slices into it and saute until it get nice brown color.
- Add the chili-asafoetida salt powder mix into the heated oil...Lower the heat to low.
- Fry all the ingredients until completely fried (dark color).
- Let the mix to cool down and then add the lime slices into the mix
- After 4-5 hrs add one/2 tsp of vinegar and mix very well. vinegar has to get into all the part..
- Do not overcook the lime.then u can’t make it into slices..
- Soak the lime in salt for 2-3 days in room temperature.. Check the salt in between.
- If u like u can use more Garlic and chili powder.
- Always keep the pickle in airtight container and keep it in room temperature for a week.
- do not use any wet spoons which adds moisture and the pickle very easily get "fungus" and that spoils the whole pickle.
- If u want u can use any other oil instead of sesame oil.Here i used Idhayam sesame oil.