Moru curry(yogurt curry - “കാച്ചിയ മോര്” ) is one of the popular dish of kerala.. Usually we used to prepare the morru curry with grated coconut. But we can prepare the same with no coconut. Today i thought of sharing the “Yogurt curry with no coconut “recipe.Any keralites favorite combo is rice with this morrucurry.if u add the thoran (vegetable Stir fry) and pickle it will be a perfect meal.My brother is a great fan of this moru curry.Here my hus’s tastebud always ask for this delicious curry too, He likes the above combination and I am too happy becuase no other non veg side is needed for him.
Amma always prepare the coconut version.I got this recipe idea from my friend Seena..Once we got a chance to taste this curry from her home. And my better-half really liked it. If he likes any dishes he asks me to try the same by myrself.So i will always try to get the recipe from my friends.(He likes very few:)) .i collected the recipe from seena's mom. Really our special thanks to her mom -our dear thankam aunty .(One more thing i like to write is when seena visited her mom’s place , she sent one full can of this tasty curry for us too)When she shared the recipe she didn't give me the exact measurement( expert cook hardly give exact measurement for any recipe ingredient ,am i right? I think so..).
When i first tried the curry it was not a success because i added more fenugreek .Usually fenugreek give nice flavor but if u add more than required, it tastes so bad.. and it spoils the entire taste of the curry. i do remember my hus called that as uluva moru curry.but he didn't disappoint me he had it with rice..When i try the same at next time i added more garlic and couldn’t make out the exact taste what aunty prepared for us..After a few tries, now i got almost the same taste.(my hus says) One best part about this delicious curry is we can keep it refrigerated for weeks .Its a very simple recipe.I always say all the recipes are simple and tasty.. really i am honest in these words..So try it.I think a best choice for working moms too.
OK let me tell you how i prepared this.Ingredients
Curd(thayir): 1 cup
Salt(uppu): as required
RedOnion/Pearl onion(Valiyaulli/Kunjulli):a small piece/2 nos
Garlic(vellulli): 2 pods of a medium sized garli
Ginger(inji): 1small piece
Fenugreek seeds(uluva): 1/4 tsp
Cumin seed(jeerakam): 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder(manjal podi):1/2 tsp
Oil(enna): 1 tsp
Mustard seed)kaduku): 1 tsp
Red chili(chumanna mulaku): 3 nos
Curry leaves(kariveppila): 1 sprig
- Mix the curd with water and blend it in a mixture. Otherwise mix well using a spoon
- Crush the ginger garlic fenugreek seed and cumin seed
- nicely chop the red onion piece /pearl onions
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the mustard seed once it started spluttering add the red chili and the curry leaves.saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion,saute well until it become light brown color
- Add the crushed GGFC followed by turmeric powder and saute for another minute..
- Reduce the heat to very low
- Add the Diluted curd into the mixture.Mix all togther and heat the mixture for 1-3 minute.Never let the mix to boil.
- Do not add more fenugreek or garlic, follow the above measurement.
- If u like u can dilute the curd by adding more than a glass of water.
- Just crush the GGFC .The crushed one gives nice flavor than the paste.
- Do not overheat the curd mixture.it spoils the curry by forming the lumps.
- GGFC -Ginger GarlicFenugreekCuminseed.