This is the Cluster bean.Its known as Kothavarakka (Malayalam),
Gawar beans(hindi),Kothavarakkai(tamil), Mattikayalu/Goruchikudkaya(Telugu).Somewhere in kerala its known as Amara Payar or Amarakka.
In our place We are used this vegettable for preparing thoran ,Sambar and Aviyal...It has a very unique taste and also good side dish for rice....Usually in Kerala we used to buy it from our vegettable market and also we can easily grow it in our vegettable garden.Here in US, we can find it in only Indian Grocery shop.The frozen version is also available.Better to go with the fresh one.
This is a favourite one for us, so its a common in our menu. Here i am going to explain how to prepare the Kothamarakka thoran/Poriyal..
Cost of this will be less than a dollar/pound.
Cooking time 15 minutes.
For Cooking :
Kothavarakka /cluster beans-250 gm
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
Garlic- 1 pod
Green chili- 2to 3 nos
Salt - to taste
Onion/Pearl Onion -1/2 Portion/ 8 nos
For Seasoning :
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Red chilly :2 nos
Curry leaves : 4 leaves
- First trim the tips off the Kothavarakka before cutting then make into small thin Pieces, as shown in figure.
- Cut the onions into small pieces (square shape).If you are using pearl onion make them into small cross-sectional slices
- Cut the Green chilly into small pieces or slice them into 2,3 pieces.Adding green chilly give more taste as well as hot.
- Heat the pan add the cut cluster bean,green chili
- sprinkle 2 tbsp of water then close the pan with a lid for about 5 minute.Don't use high heat ,it should be in medium level.
- Add the onions and stir well.Just cook that for 2 minutes.No need to add the water.with the onion's moisture is more enough to cook it nicely.
- Add the coconut and crushed garlic into the cooked bean,stir well then cook for 2 minute in medium heat. Don't forget to close it with a lid.
- In another pan,Add the oil once its get heated add the mustard seed after spluttering the mustard seed redchilli and curry leaves.
- Finally add the Cooked content into this and stir ...The Delicious Kothamarakka thoran is ready to eat...
Try it today ....You will love this......
Points to ponder:
- Cut the bean into thin pieces.
- Don't add more water.In between check the thoran.Once it cooked the fresh greenish color will change to slight yelloyish color.
- If u don't like the garlic taste no need to add that....If u add, it will make good smell as well as good for digestion
- If u need more spicy dish increase the number of green chillies.