Today's special is Mutton curry. Its a different kind of curry because we are not using any garam masala for the preparation of this delicious curry. Actually i got this recipe from Laksmi nair's cookery show. First i thought it's not a good one so i just skipped that, at last ended up with this one for todays dinner.....For this curry we are not using any fried masala or fried ingredients Usually for non vegetarian dishes we used to fry the ingredients for preparing the masala. One more difference about this curry is we are pressure cooking the whole ingredients not frying or slow cooking.I am so happy because my hus really loved this curry .
There are two types of Mutton in US. The first one is LAMB which is a common meat and is available in any grocery shop. Actually lamb is our sheep's meat. The second one is GOAT which is hardly find at US grocery shops. It will be available only on halal markets or some Thai/Chinese shops. We don't like Lamb's taste as compared to Goat's. We usually buy the Goat from Halal Market. It has our nattile mutton taste If u like Lamb’s taste u can go with the lamb.... doesn't matter...
Goat/Lamb : 1/4 kg
Coriander seeds :2 tbs
Black pepper seed :1/4 tbs
Cumin seed : 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Pearl onion/Onion : 10 no/medium size
Ginger : 1 medium size
Garlic : 5 pods
Green chili: 2 no
Fenu greek seed :1/8 tsp
Mustard Seed :1tsp
Oil: 3 tsp
Curry leaves: 4 leaves
Red chili: 2 no
- First Make a nice powder of Coriander seeds Black pepper seeds cumin seed and turmeric powder..
- If u have pearl onion peel it off and cut each onion into 2 pieces other wise dice the big onion into very small pieces
- Cut the ginger and garlic into small pieces
- In a pressure cooker put the mutton pieces, grind-ed curry powder, onion ginger garlic green chili and the fenugreek seed. add enough salt
- Add 1 cup of water .Cook it for 15- 20 minute in medium heat until otherwise the mutton is well cooked
- Heat oil in a pan add the mustard seeds ,Once it get splutter add the curry leaves and red chili
- then add the cooked mutton curry mix well..
Points to ponder
- Mutton itself have its own moisture so do not add excess water.
- If u have pearl onion use that; it will give more taste.
- Cut the garlic and ginger into small pieces...otherwise crush or make a coarse paste.
- Check the spicy level, if u like more spicy then only add the green chili. The curry itself spicy as because we have added the pepper seed in the powder..