Today i thought i can share something different,but it is a common one in everyone's menu thats nothing other than the thoran/Poriyal/vegettable stirfry..But the veggetable here i used is the Baby bok choy or Shanghai bok choy. This is a type of chineese cabbage.
Last time when I was searching for the leek, I saw this chineese cabbage.Yesterday when we went to the Chinese market for purchasing fish i shopped this bok choy also .We usually buy only fish from this shop.(sometimes we buy Chinese/Thai sauces and noodles as well). But this time i spent some time in their veggies section...they got several varieties of cabbage..I found this cabbage called bok choy..Just picked a bundle of three and i thought i can try the usual thoran with this.Today i tried this thoran using this cabbage and it tastes so good..especilly my husband really liked the taste though he is not a cabbage fan.So i thought i can share this recipe with all of u.About its nutritional fact :the Bok choy is a good source of calcium and it contains no fat or cholestrol. Its also low in sodium and high in vitamin A and C. Its agood choice for diet also...ok let me share the details.Cost of the item:0.99 usd/Pound
Cooking time : 10-15 minute
Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage):3 bundle
Green chili: 3 nos
Carrot: 1 small sized(optional)
Coconut: 1/2 cup
Red chilli :1 no
Cumin seed: 1 tsp
Fennel seed:1 tsp
salt: to taste
Oil: 1 tsp
split urad dal:1 tsp
Mustard seed: 1tsp
Red chili: 1
Curry leaves: 1 spring
- Chop the cabbage into small pieces.Wash the chopped one 2-3 times in cold water and strain it and keep it aside
- Shred the carrot.(here i used the peeler ),because we can make very thin slices of carrot then it will easily get cooked with the cabbage.
- Cut the green chili into small pieces
- Crush the coconut, red chili, cumin seed and fennel seed.If u have mortar and pestle use that.
- Mix the chopped cabbage, shredded carrot and green chili,add salt to taste.
- Transfer the contents into a pan.Close the pan and Cook it for 4-5 minutes in medium heat .The cabbage has its own moisture so do not add any water.
- Add the coconut mixture into it and stir well ..cook it for 1-2 minute.
- Heat oil in another pan..add mustard seeds..Once it get started spluttering add the dried red-chili and curry leaves folowed by the split urad dal..let it saute for 20-30 seconds..
- Pour this mix into the cooked vegetable
- Do not over cook the cabage and carrot.
- Do not add any water while cooking the vegetables.
- if u like u can add more green chili according to ur taste..
- You can add the garlic also..it will give a nice flavor to the dish.