Thursday, May 6, 2010

KadalaPradhaman /Payasam/Kheer

Today i thought i can  go with something traditional.ya its Kadala Pradhaman/Kadala Payasam/Kheer. It is a traditional Kerala style payasam.The main ingredient for this kheer is splitted Bengal gram or channa dal(Chholar dal in Bengali; Buta daali in Oriya; శనగ పప్పు Shanaga pappu in Telugu; ಕಡಲೆ ಬೀಳೆ Kadale bele in Kannada; Kaḍala parippu in Malayalam;and கடலை பருப்புkaḍalai paruppu in Tamil) We usually can find this kadala pradhaman in Kerala sadhya (Kerala Feast) which would be served in most of the kerala weddings and other traditional functions such as Onam, Vishu etc..The feast comes with minimum of 3 payasam. This kadala is a one of them.

This pradhaman is my mom's favorite payasam. But I love palada & ada pradhaman, my brother likes semiya payasam (Vermicelli Kheer). My father is not so choosy he likes any food prepare  by Amma. So for any occasion, mom always prepares  either semiya or ada. Hardly give the priority to kadala payasam..Whenever she prepares this payasam in very rare occations, even though I didn't like it much, I used to have it..it has a very unique taste. 
Amma's food is always special..nothing is comparable with her food. We can have any restaurant food 4 or 5 times, after that we will get tired of that..but amma's food whatever she prepares always has a unique taste. 

Actually when i saw mother's day event i just thought about some thing I can send for the event that should be amma's favorite food.Then i tried to find out what's amma's favorite,suddenly i got this kadala pradhaman.i do remember amma  didnt cook it often..because of us only.but whever she prepare we both love to have it.Mom's always give preference to their kid's favorite foods..That is a universal truth..

This is amma's recipe.2-3 times amma explained the preparation of this pradhaman because she was not sure i am going to prepare it perfectly.With her instruction i prepared this delicious payasam..when my husband came from office he tasted this and he told me that it is so good just like what we get in sadhyas.i became so happy.Next day i told the same to amma:))
Wishing you all a Happy and Wonderful Mother's day.. on this occation i am sharing  my mom's special recipe to all of my friends.Everyday is mother's day right..no need for a special day for mom..I always think about Amma ,every day for one or the other reasons; while cooking I think Amma did that way, while combing the hair I think amma used to do this way..while pampering my kid I think amma used to do this way.for each and everything and everytime mom will be with us right."Amma" is so special gift from GOD.
Lots of stories right..Ok let me tell u the preparation steps of this Kadala Pradhaman.
Ingredients
Channa Dal/split Bengal gram: 1 cup
Water: 1 cup
Ghee: 3 tbsp
Jaggery: 1 cup or 2 medium balls
Water: 1 cup
Diluted Coconut Milk: 11/2 cup
Concendrated Coconut Milk: 1/2 cup
Cardamom: 3 piece
Garnishing
Ghee: 1 tsp
Cashew nuts: 10 nos
Raisins: 15 nos
Preparation
Step1:
  • Soak the Channa for 4 hours
  • In a pressure cooker cook the soaked channa with enough water.Cook until 2 - 3 whistle If u have excess water drain it and tranfer the cooked channa onto a plate and crush it.
  • Make the diluted and concentrated coconut milk.
  • Make the jaggery syrup - Add the jaggery and water then heat it until it became a liquid form.Strain it using a tea strainer.
  • In another pan just heat the ghee..add the cashews and saute well once it almost get a light brown color add the raisins saute for 2 minute and switch off the flame and keep it aside
  • Make a nice powder of the cardamom
Step2
  • Heat Ghee in a thick bottom vesel.Add the cooked channa into the ghee and nicely cook the channa again in ghee.Cook until all the watery contents evaporates from the dal.the right consistency how u can find is once it is completely done it will start seperating from the vessel..
Step3
  • Pour the jaggery syrup into it..stir continuously..keep the flame in medium otherwise there are chances of burning the channa.
Step4
  • Add the diluted coconut milk and mix well.Cook it for 5-7 minutes in medium heat..stir continuously
Step5:
  • Add the cardamom powder.Mix well.
  • Add the concentrated coconut milk..reduce the heat to low..just heat it for 3-5 minute 
  • Add the Cashew nuts and  raisin in to the Kadala pradhaman and stir well.
The delciious Kadala Pradaman is ready to have.


Cook's Tip
  • Do not add excess water for cooking the channa.If water is there in the cooked channa completely drain it.
  • Once u strain the jaggery syrup immediately wash the strainer and the vessel used for the preparation .otherwise it will be so sticky.
  • First do all the things specified in step1.then only start preparing the payasam (step 2-5).Because u have to stir  continuously until its done.otherwise there are chances to stick /burn the dal.that will ruin the entire taste of the pradhaman.
Sending this Mom's favorite KadalaPradhaman  to Jyothi's Mother's Day event and  Sabitha's Celebrating Mom's Event 
Also sending this to Priya's cooking-with-seeds-cardamom-seeds Event

    59 Said:

    Srividhya Ravikumar said...

    Wow.. all time hit.. looks lovely

    Sushma Mallya said...

    Looks delicious,love any sweet dish..

    Suhaina said...

    This is my mums fav payasam too. I made twice for for her when she visited me.
    I am going to make this weekend. you made me drool.

    TREAT AND TRICK said...

    Although I have never tasted it but the way you described made me to have a bowl right away, this is truly delicious dear...

    Priya Suresh said...

    Irresisitible kadala pradhaman, love that colour, really a delicious kheer to enjoy..

    Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

    this one is indeed a tempting dish...my mom loves this 2...i dont like it tht much...but i made it for her when last year she visited us and wil make this on mothers day for sure.to cherish .memories with my sweet mom..my hubby loves this 2...urs look very mouthwatering..seeing i m drooling..wil try rhis time when i make this..

    Simplyfood said...

    Interesting recipe never had kheer made from gram before.

    Krishnaveni said...

    bengal gram in payasam.......looks interesting and yummy

    SathyaSridhar said...

    Rani,,how are you ter dear?..Amma always special for us dear we use to get remember our amma always especially after marriage it will get often...Payasam looks delicious dear n sure it will taste very good.

    Hari Chandana P said...

    yum yum yummm.. looks perfect dear!!

    Pete said...

    Sometimes I soak channa overnight in the fridge.....can cook faster...LOL!

    Uma said...

    Tempting payasam Prani! Nice post dear!

    Nithu Bala said...

    Delicious..love to try this..I've prepared this once..will try again sometime soon..

    Rachana said...

    Interesting recipe! Looks really yummmy!!! Have a great weekend!

    Life is beautiful !!! said...

    True...nothing can equal the food prepared by mother. We use moong dhal for making payasam. The payasam looks really perfect and I hope you felt your moms love in it :)

    Suji said...

    Prani...Super kadala pradhaman..Njgalke ettavum eshtulla payasam anu..Serikkum kothy varanund tou...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    Nitha said...

    Tempting one.. i love it.. But dont prepare as my hubby doesnt like brown payasams.. waiting for my friends to visit :)

    Urmi said...

    Kheer looks tasty, delicious and tempting. I love kheer very much and shall try your lovely recipe.

    divya said...

    Never tried kheer, looks great delicious and very tempting and Happy Mother’s Day to you and family…..

    PranisKitchen said...

    srividhya,sushma,suhaina,treat and trick,priya,sanyukta,simply food,krishna,sathya,harichandana,pete,uma,nithu, rachana,Manju,Kiralisisters,nitks,babli,divya thank you so much for the lovely comments dear friends

    Indian Khana said...

    I love this but never tried making...now this is looking very tempting...bookmarked it..

    Namitha said...

    Love this kheer. My mom in laws special...It's been a while since I had this

    Pam said...

    This looks flavorful and delicous.

    Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

    Delicious Kadala pradhaman..My mom's speciality too..Lovely write up Prani...

    Thanks for the entry !!!!

    Suja Manoj said...

    Wow Kadala pradhaman is my moms favorite too...was making plans for hubby's B'day next week..will try this..thanks dear..

    Sunita said...

    Awesome!

    Mary Bergfeld said...

    What a lovely presentation.It funny that no matter where we live, we all seem to remember our Mother's food and prefer it to all else. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    Preeti Kashyap said...

    Looks Perfect!!!!Thanks for following me and the nice comment.

    Do join green gourmet event I am hosting. Love to have your recipes

    http://relishingrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/05/introducing-green-gourmet-event-green.html

    panchpakwan said...

    Prani,
    Lovely recipe..Thanks for sending to the evnt..:)

    Jayanthy Kumaran said...

    Looks yummmy...very colorful n delicious..Happy weekend dear.

    PranisKitchen said...

    Priti,gulmohar,pam,shabitha,suja,sunie,mary,preeti,jyoti,jay thanks for the comments dear

    Unknown said...

    nice post looks is it sweet ,great i like sweets i like variety sweets

    Preety said...

    this is new to me..its nice to learn about diff cuisines through wonderful blogs like you

    Unknown said...

    Love it dear. The color has come out very nicely.

    Gita Jaishankar said...

    Payasam looks so yum and tempting Prani...nice pictures :)

    Kiran said...

    Very delicious looking chanadaal payasam.

    M D said...

    Ur payasam looks very good. Makes me hungry for sure!

    Deepti said...

    New to me but luks gud.

    PranisKitchen said...

    knk,preety,priya,gita,kiran,md,deepti thanks for the lovely comments dear.knk its sweet only dalkheer

    Love2cook Malaysia said...

    Hi dear, I'm waiting with a bowl..hehee! Wish to taste Ur yummy payasam! ;)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    I'm a Home Chef !!! said...

    yeah...have heard about this many times...never tasted this...sure will try this...

    Ms.Chitchat said...

    Very tasty looking payasam,a regular sweet in my kitchen.Loved the click too.

    Saritha said...

    Wonderful pc and nice payasam,never taste this ones

    Rumana Rawat said...

    This is very new to me, we cook halwa of this channa dal. this version also looks great.
    Happy Mother's Day:-)

    Umm Mymoonah said...

    Your payasam looks delicious in this beautiful dish:-)

    Malar Gandhi said...

    Happy Mother's Day, dear. Same my Mommy too used to make this parippu payasam/kadala pradhaman for many festivals...lovely recipe, yours looks perfect, rich and delish.

    PJ said...

    love this kheer and its color! perfect sweet ending to a Mother's day!

    PranisKitchen said...

    Lovetocook,homechef,chitchat,varunavi,rumana,mymoonah.malar,PJ thanks for the lovely comments dear

    Dershana said...

    Perfect! you know what i love ada pradhaman too while my brother too likes semiya :-) in fact i like any payasam with jaggery in it. thank u for stopping by my blog. will visit you too.

    Unknown said...

    hi thanks for comment
    today we are going to try this kheer hop it will be good


    see you soon

    Lorraine said...

    This looks wonderful. I have never had anything like this. Thanks for sharing!

    Sunitha said...

    Mouthwatering, lipsmacking deliciousness. I love this payasam especially with pazham...oooh!

    Swathi said...

    Rani,

    kadala payasam adipoli. I love it. It is my mother's favorite too.

    shriya said...

    Love the payasam. It looks delectable and mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing

    PranisKitchen said...

    dershana,knk,raina,nostalgia,swathi,shriya thanks for the lovely comments dear friends.
    Knk pls let me know

    Simply Life said...

    this reminds me that I really need to start cooking with coconut milk!

    Unknown said...

    Hey Rani,

    Bumped in here for the first time...I am glad I did that...U have an awesome space here...Nice collection of recipes...

    UR pics of That delicious payasam is making me drool....This has been my fav since childhood...Missing that since long time...I have book marked u r recipe...

    Njoy Cooking n Happy Blogging.....

    Suma Gandlur said...

    Lovely. My MIL used to prepare chanadal payasam
    for almost all celebrations and whenever I see this payasam post in any blog, I recall the good times we had together.

    Anonymous said...

    Love the story with ur parents :) I think I will try this soon, love bengali gram and its very healthy!

    Post a Comment

    free counters
    Kerala Foods on Foodista
    ജാലകം