Tuesday, May 4, 2010

CrabCake & CrabFry /Njandu cake and NjanduFry

Today i am going to share with u guys something special. That's a seafood - Crab-cake. Crab-cake is just like the cutlet prepared with crab meat. I don't know how many of you are aware of this dish,it's a very delicious food.
During the travel we always love to have food from different restaurants.I hardly prefer seafood from outside because in restaurants they do not add that much spice as we used to do and also they do not cook as much as we do. My husband love to taste any food. He loves experience new dishes(sometimes we  could have  order another dishes(because of the new dish taste) too).
We tasted this crab cake from Fisherman-wharf (Pier 39) in San Francisco.San Fransisco is one of the beautiful place in USA (It has the tropical weather similar to Kerela). Lot many attractions are there. The Pier 39 is one of them.In the fisherman wharf there are lot of street-side food shops, especially sea-food shops (like our thattukada). One of the best demanded items are "Crab-cake" and the seafood platter..Here i am attaching the picture of SFO pier 39.Its best place to enjoy,the main attarctions are the bay aquarium,fishermanwharf,cruises,wax Museum,Sea lions,shopping and eating..if u have enough time just walk from the pier 39 to pier 48 enjoy the beautiful views as well as the shops,food  etc.
When we visited SFO as a part of experimenting new dishes my husband  tried this crab-cake.Usually he won't compel me to eat any seafood item if it is an experiment but when he tried this crab-cake he told me to try that.when i tasted i really loved that and had 2 set of crab cake..That day onwards crab-cake became one of our favorite.
When I saw the Joyful Eating Whilst Traveling event, I was trying to find a dish for this event. My hus only suggested this crab-cake ..so i decided to go with this delicious food. Google found paula deen's crab cake recipe for me. finally i prepared the crab-cake and  the result was awesome.we really enjoyed having it.. I am always thankful to my fellow bloggers because of these events (we experiment new ideas and recipes and try our best to prepare these food to get good outcome).
Here I am going to share one more  simple recipe: that's "Crab fry. Let me explain how we make the delicious crab-cake and crab fry.
Here we go with the crab cake:
Ingredients
Crab meat: 1 pound
Ritz crackers: 5 tbsp
Green Onions: 3 count
Bell Pepper: 1/2 portion of a medium size
Mayonnaise:4tbsp
egg: 1 no
Worcestershire sauce: 1 tsp
Mustard:1 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Salt: enough
Pepper Powder: 1 tsp
Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Flour : for dusting
Oil: for frying
For the Dipping sauce
Mayonnaise: 1 tbsp
Chili sauce: 1/2 tbsp
Preparation
Step1
  • Chop the green onion into very small pieces(use both white and green part)
  • Chop the bell pepper into thin pieces
  • Crush the Ritz crackers
  • If u do not have Worcestershire sauce just add 1 tsp of wine and 1 tsp of chili powder.
Step2:
  • In a large bowl add all the ingredients except flour and oil.The mix should be in the consistency of cutlet mix.
Step3:
  • Make oval shaped patties from the mix.dust the patties with the flour.
  • Heat oil in a pan.Fry the patties until golden brown.
  • Place the fried crab cakes on a kitchen tissue.
  • Mix the Mayonnaise and Chili sauce in a small bowl and use this as a dipping sauce.
The delicious Crab cake is ready to serve.Have it with the dipping sauce
Cook's tip
  • Do not add any water while mixing the ingredients.
  • If the mix is not in the correct consistency  just add some bread slices into it.
  • If u don't find the sauce replace it with 1 tbsp wine and 1tbsp pepper powder
  • U can shallow fry the crab patties instead of deep frying..
  • Be careful by changing the sides of the crab cake while frying
  • The crab meat will be available in all grocery stores meat/seafood counter.
Sending this Crabcake to Jagruti's Joyful Eating Whilst Traveling event.


    Crab Fry/Njandu Fry
    We both love eating crab dishes. This Crab fry is really simple  and very delicious one too It's a very healthy seafood,good source of calcium.Let me share the preparation steps of this wonderful dish
    Ingredients
    Crab legs:2 nos (Try to use King Crab Legs)
    Ginger: 1 medium size
    Garlic:6 pods
    Pearl Onion/Re Onion:10 nos/1/2 portion of a medium sized
    Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
    Chili Powder: 2 tbsp
    salt : to taste
    Cloves: 2 nos
    Cinnamon: 1 small portion
    Cardamom: 1 no
    Fennel seeds: 1 tsp
    Pepper : 4 nos
    Coriander Powder: 2 tbsp
    Preparation 
    • Cut the crab legs into medium size pieces (1 inch length). Just wash it with lemon juice.
    • Make a nice paste of all the ingredients. Marinate the crab and keep it for 30-1 hour.
    • Heat oil in a pan and fry it until done (the crab became brown in color).
    The Delicious Njandu fry is ready to have..Have it with Rice
    Cook's Tip
    • If u r using the whole crab just cut them into  small pieces .
    • Wash with lemon juice.

    42 Said:

    Suhaina said...

    yummyyy.looks very very tempting. u r making me drool. i love crab meat very much....the crab cake looks perfect and the crab fry id too much. i love both.may be when i come to ur place u can make this for me then.

    Priya Suresh said...

    Ur crab cake makes me hungry dear eventhough its morning here...wat a fabulous crab fry..both dishes looks mouthwatering..

    Pete said...

    I have always wondered what are the ingredients for crab cakes...thks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    SathyaSridhar said...

    Rani,,crab cake makes me hungry dear perfectly fried cakes n well presented,,,crab fry looks soo colourful...

    Life is beautiful !!! said...

    Very beautiful recipes and wonderful presentation....I just love crabs :) Thanks for the recipe Prani :)

    Sushma Mallya said...

    Very beautiful & tempting clicks prani, both these dishes looks mouthwatering...

    Hayley said...

    Lovely and beautiful crab dishes.. I don't eat seafood, but I know every seafood lover wants to try this dishes..pics looks great..and if god willing we are thinking going USA, again for holiday...let's see..Thanks for entry!!

    Deana Sidney said...

    I love that crab dish... I can imagine licking the spices off my fingers after munching on those crab legs.. great recipe!

    Jayanthy Kumaran said...

    Hy,

    Crab is my hubby's fav dish, even though I don't have much craving ...But your crab fry and cake looks so awesome...and changing my mind to give it a try and surprise my hubby. Thanks for this perfect recipe dear.

    Urmi said...

    I appreciate for your wonderful presentation. Crab fry and crab curry looks spicy, colourful, delicious and mouth watering. I love crab very much. Thanks for your lovely recipe.

    Uma said...

    both crab cake and fry are so tempting.. am confused which one to try first. :)

    Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

    crab cake, sound good, must try this when I get some fresh crab, it is hard to get crab here.

    Suji said...

    Beautiful crab cake ..crab fry looks delish too...
    Love both the dishes Prani..

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    divya said...

    Drooling over the colour of the crab cake.....looks mouthwatering

    Suja Manoj said...

    Crab fry looks so tempting..its my favorite.
    must try the crab cakes as well...both looks so colorful.

    Gita Jaishankar said...

    Both looks very delicious and tempting Prani...lovely pictures :)

    Nitha said...

    Wonderful clicks.. My hubby loves to have anytime.. even for tea :) Good recipe.. thanks for sharing..
    First time here.. you have a wonderful blog.. happy to follow you..

    Pam said...

    The crab cakes look amazing and perfectly cooked.

    Mary Bergfeld said...

    Your crab cakes - both types - look absolutely amazing, Prani. I really like your blog and will try to visit often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    TREAT AND TRICK said...

    What a lovely crab cake and crab fry!!Seems interesting the way you prepared the crab cake, would love to try it...

    VineelaSiva said...

    Awesome prani the crab cake came out perfect.Love it.Never tried will try soon.

    sanyukta gour(bayes) said...

    first time here....u hv a wonderful space..just stared blogging ..do drop sumtime...the crab dishes looks tempting....
    sanyukta gour(bayes)
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    Unknown said...

    WOW!! Love your crab cakes and crab fry..I have never tried anything with crabs..Your pictures are tempting me to try them out!!

    Love2cook Malaysia said...

    WOW!!! Crab varieties! My Hubby and son would love this. I don't eat crabs...:(

    Krishnaveni said...

    fantastic job. both are really superb

    Unknown said...

    that really looks delicious!!! since I started food blogging I want to eat everything in sight...LOL!!!

    PranisKitchen said...

    suhaina,priya,pete,sathya,manju,sushma,jagruti,lostpastremembered,jay,babli,uma,sonia,kairali sis,divya,suja,gita,nitks,pam,mary,treatandtrick,vinee,sanyukta,yummyteam,lovetocook,krishna,sandi thanks a lot for the lovely comments..

    Nisha said...

    Scrumptious :)

    Sook said...

    I love crabcake! But I still havent made them at home. I will have to give this a try! Yum!

    Manju said...

    thanks for visiting my blog Prani! You have a lovely blog here too :) always on the lookout for more mallu food ..following you!

    Faiza Ali said...

    crab cakes looks so crispy and tempting..never ate crab cake..even the crab fry looks mouthwatering dear.

    Rumana Rawat said...

    This is lovely recipe, both looks great and very tasty to me..

    PranisKitchen said...

    nisha,sook,superchef,faiza,rumana thanks for ur lovely comments dear

    Ann said...

    This pic makes me super hugry! Love the pefect shape adn color. looks so good

    San said...

    I don't eat crab but i was so impressed on seeing ur crab cake.I think i should try salmon cake instead using ur recipe.Lovely photos rani.Keep rocking with mouthwatering dishes.

    Namitha said...

    I like crab dishes, but haven't gained enough courage to cook them myself :D

    Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

    Luv the crab cake and crab fry..Never tried both these dishes.. will surely try out..You have a interesting space..Following you..will never miss your recipes..

    Malar Gandhi said...

    Crab fry, that is simply out of this world- looks awesome, love it.

    Coming to crab cake, well said...here they don't use our spice...thats the only thing I miss the most. And I liked ur write-up...reminded tattukada...me too enjoy travel food:)

    FoodLovers said...

    wonderful recipe Pranis ...thanks for sharing dear
    pics looks tempting nice click

    Shabs.. said...

    All of a sudden i am craving for crab.....and crab cakes....love em in any form...have tastef fish cakes and i just love em....urs looks simply perfect.

    Sridevi said...

    Delicious crab fry makes me to drool...

    Malaysian Delicacies said...

    Luv crabs...both crab fry and cakes looks yummy...

    Post a Comment

    free counters
    Kerala Foods on Foodista
    ജാലകം