Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unnakaya /Stuffed Ripe Plantain with Coconut

Today I thought I can share another traditional Kerala food..It is a famous snack in northern part of Kerala (Malabar region). It is very popular and demanded item during the Ramadan fasting days. The name of the snack is UNNAKAYA. It has a special shape and the shape is similar to the fruit called unnakaya.The main ingredient for this snack is ripe-plantain (Ethaykaya).The best part about this snack is that it can be prepared in both veg and non-veg versions so both vegetarians and non-vegetarians can have it. The non-vegetarian version is prepared with egg. It is a very tasty one and kids will really love this delicious snack. We can also call it as a stuffed plantain with coconut.
Frankly speaking, when i prepared this first 2-3 times it was a flop; the main problem I faced was that I couldn't prepare it in the perfect shape and while frying it was broken so we ate them as podimas. . 
Today, I prepared both the veggie and non-veg versions. My hus really liked the egg version.You can deep fry or shallow fry it. Here I shallow fried it. But be careful, it will get fried within minutes. if  u keep it for more time it will get burn and spoil the taste. If u try to prepare this, first prepare the stuffing and then boil the plantain. Because if u keep the mashed plantain for long time it will get dry and can not make out the correct shape. Better to prepare the filling first then boil and mash the plantain. Do not use the fully riped plantain.
Just try it..sure it will be a good addition to ur evening snack menu..
Lets talk about the recipe...

Ingredients
Ripe Plantain: 2 nos
Vegetarian version:                         
Ghee: 1 tbsp     
Cardamom: 2 nos
Raisins: 5 nos
Cashewnut: 5 nos
couscous:3 tbsp(optional)
Grated Coconut: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1/4 cup
Non vegetarian Version:                                         
Cardamom: 2 nos
Raisins: 5 nos
Cashewnut: 5 nos
Grated Coconut: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1/4 cup 
Egg: 1 no   
Preparation
Step1
  • Crush the cardamom and  cashew nut. If u like u can use the whole one.
  • Boil the plantain.
How to Boil the plantain:
Method1
  • Cut the plantain into 2 pieces.
  • In a pressure cooker just add enough water and cook until 1 or 2 whistle.
  • Let it cool and use accordingly
Method2
  • Cut the plantain into 2 pieces
  • In an idli cooker add the water and keep one idli mould plate and place the plantain on the plate.
  • Cook until 2 to 3 whistle.
  • Let it cool and use accordingly
Step2
  • Heat ghee in  a pan. Add the crushed cardamom ,cashews and raisins. Saute it for 30 seconds
  • Add the couscous followed by grated coconut and fry for 1-2 minute in medium heat. Add the Sugar..stir continuosly..Fry until the mix get a light brown color
For the non vegetarian 
  • Pour the egg into the pan.scramble it and mix with the coconut mixture..Stir continuously.
Step3: 
  • Mash the boiled plantain very nicely using ur hand or mixer.Do not add any water.Do not have any lumps on it..blend well
Step4: How to make the unnakaya stuffing
  • Make lemon sized balls from the cooked bananas
  • Apply some oil on ur palm.sothat it won't stick
  • Take one ball and place it on ur plam ..press it using ur fingers and 
  • Take one  spoon full of coconut mix /eggmix,place it on the banaan mix cover and shape it. 
  • For making the shape make the edges in sharp and center portion will be thick (as shown in the picture)
  • Repeat the same process for all the balls we made .With 2 bananas u can make upto 6-8 unnakaya.
Step5:
  •  Heat ghee in a pan.(oil is also fine) Shallow fry until all the four sides get nice brown color
The easy and delicious unnakaya is ready to have.Have it with Hot tea,best snack for evening tea.


Cook's Tip
  • Do not keep the mashed plantian mix for long time if u keep it it will get dry.
  • If u like u can deep fry the unnakaya pieces.
  • Do not use fully riped bananas.If u feel the mashed plantain is not in the right consistency add 1-2 tbsp flour into it.
  • If u like more egg taste reduce the amount of coconut.

75 Said:

uma said...

Hey Prani, your repeated attempts are commendable! when the broken ones were so tasty, am sure these would be awesome.. wish i could join u for tea n have some :)

Suhaina said...

I like the veg version very much. I first had this after my marriage. I love this so much, that I make lots in one batch and store in the freezer. I usually make them for Ramadan.Nice click Prani.

Ms.Chitchat said...

Kudos Prani for trying it over and over and finally succeeding. Looks awesome and tempting too. Illustrative clicks are too good.

Suji said...

wow..Absolutely love unnakayas..Great clicks and love d the detailed recipe Prani...Kannedukane thonanilla tou..amazing da..

Love
Kairali sisters

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

wow..simply awesome dear....great running blog with lovely recipes...hats off to u...cheers for ur wonderful blog....loved the veg version,...i m drooooooooooooooooooooling

Pari Vasisht said...

Looks fabulous. Kudos to u.

SpicyTasty said...

Seriously, awesome recipe and love your presentation. Very nice clicks.

Swathi said...

Rani,

Unnakaya looks really awesome. Nice two stuffing, i haven't tasted yet. I need to some time.

Kiran said...

This recipe is new to me.Unnakaya looks very delicious.Must have tasted heavenly.Nice presentation.

Sushma Mallya said...

So beautiful presentation, am sure must have tasted yum as well

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

this dish is completely new to me. love the veg version

Niloufer Riyaz said...

unnakaya looks soo mouthwatering dear!!

The Housewife said...

I've never seen or heard of this dish before! Sounds really good! Great way to use up all the bananas!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This sound good.

Unknown said...

Unnakaya adipoli ketto..I have heard of unnakaya but never tasted it. Will try your recipe sometime..

M D said...

My mom used to make these when we were young. I have never made it however. Looks very yummy.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a fantastic stuffed plantain fritters, beautiful dish looks sooo prefect and droolworthy..worth to try..

Sridevi said...

Nice to know about this recipe...Would like to try it.Very nice presentation.

Sum Raj said...

woo this is somthing new one...looks very yummy..

Rachana said...

This looks so good, lovely presentation :)

Ammu said...

Looks great. Love the shape. yummy :)

Vrinda said...

Yum yumm,i cant stop eating them,my fav....

Suja Manoj said...

Wow Prani ..unnakaya looks so cute..a real beauty.
Looks so tempting and such a lovely presentation..my favorite

divya said...

this is absolutely delicious! very attractive presentation too.

Life is beautiful !!! said...

Beautiful Prani. I have never seen this before. Looks awesome. I love ethakay especially when it is stemed. I am sure these are delicious. Wonderful post !!!

San said...

Wow i need all of them rani.They are awesome looking n very much tempting. Fabulous pics.

Simplyfood said...

This is anew dish to me but it sounds wonderful.

Deepti said...

This is new to me n luks fabulous.

Indian Khana said...

This is new for me and looks so gud...must be tasting just yum

Padhu Sankar said...

This is a new recipe to me .Sounds interesting!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Prani, I love people who have detemination. While the dish is new to me it looks delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

I love anything with coconut - these look terrific.

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice recipe. very new to me

Suma Gandlur said...

A novel one to me. Looks really great.

Indranee Batabyal said...

Great blog...love this recipe!

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Beautiful pic, looks so yummy and perfect shape too.....

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

New one to me..sounds interesting..great pics !!!

Namitha said...

I love this, but never made it at home :-) This looks so irresistible

sangeeta said...

Thanks for dropping by Prani ..
i loved your blog and this recipe looks like an exotic kerala specialty.....would love to have it.

Unknown said...

Wow dear, these are soooooooooooooo yummy looking. I have never even heard of it. I make plantain koftas but this is so very different. Thanks for the wonderful idea :)

Manju said...

OMG!OMG!OMG! Ive had this and I love this..didnt know what it was and how to make it! thanks a lot!! :)

Sook said...

Oh these look very unique and delicious!

GayathriRaj said...

Hey thats a unique idea .... i loved it a lot...but i feel that we need lots of patience to do it....u r gr8 dear for the interest ...

Umm Mymoonah said...

Aah1! I remember this dish when i was a liitle one, i used to have it in my aunt's place,looks delicious Prani:-)

Gita Jaishankar said...

This is a new dish for me Prani..sounds very delicious...nice presentation :)

Lorraine said...

This sounds wonderful. I have never seen anything like this. I think I would love it because of all the wonderful flavors in it. Great instruction on how to prepare. Thanks! I will have to try it.

Dipika said...

Love the way u presented ur recipe....easy to grasp and elegant the way it looks...is a easiest way to grab a recipe :)
Never heard of this before...thanks for sharing.would like to try Unnakaya when I visit kerala :)

SathyaSridhar said...

Rani,,,wooow dear very nice recipe dear never tried n tasted like this simply superb snack well done n well presented da. Sure ,,i will try the sweet version looks delicious n yummy cute shape da...

Unknown said...

presented so beautifully..

Raks said...

This is very very new to me! Wonderful idea looks delicious!

Simply Life said...

Oh what a great idea!

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome recipe...looks mouthwatering :)

Nitha said...

Awesome recipe and nice presentation.. I have never got this in shape anytime I tried this.. Have to try again :)

Myvegfare said...

hey parni, one of my kerala friends gave this to me when I visited her, they look so delicious she said she will tell me how!!, and here you are posting it!!, they look awesome, I just loved it and I am going to give this a go..., veggie version of course!!..love it..., beautiful clicks toolll:), and thanks for all those comments you give me.., and it was so quick!!,

Panchpakwan said...

Wow looks so delicious..new to me..but i would love grab some !!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

would love to bite into those sweet delicacies. looks mind blowing....great pictorial too Prani.

Krishnaveni said...

looks beautiful and love your cute presentation. very well explained

Mary Bergfeld said...

Prani, I just popped by to tell you that your correct. That is one of the three countries we'll be visiting. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Suman said...

never had this before...sounds interesting and delicious to me...thanks for sharing this Prani!

Anonymous said...

enthu rasam..love it to bits

turmericnspice said...

never had this before ....sounds like an exotic dish!! shld try it out

Vikis Kitchen said...

Very nice traditional dish dear. Unnakai looks delicious.

Angie's Recipes said...

A very interesting plantain dish. Labour of love...thanks for sharing such an exotic dish.

Gouri Guha said...

Never heard of this recipe...very new to me. Looks interesting...can try the non-veg one.

Urmi said...

Very nice, unique and interesting recipe. Unnakayas looks so delicious that I cannot resist myself. You have presented very beautifully.

Fathima said...

one of my favs... I have a non-traditional version on my blog... would love to have this anytime...

Malar Gandhi said...

I just love this unnakaya, got introduced to this dish thro' fellow blogger and made them last ramzaan. It was awesome. Love your version so much too:)

PJ said...

such a delicious recipe, screams a tropic to me!

Subhie Arun said...

such a delicious recipe,,New to me..will try out soon...

PranisKitchen said...

uma,suhaina,chitchat,kairalisisters,sanyukta,pari,spicytasty,swathi,kiran,sushmamalya,jayasree,niloufer,housewife,sonia,yummyteam,MD,priya,sridevi,suma,rachana,ammu,vrinda,suja,divya,manju,san, simplyfood,deepti,priti,padhu,mary,pam,deesha,suma,indranee,treatand trick,shabita,gulmohar,sangeeta,priya,superchef,sook,gayathri,umm mymoomah,gita,raina,dipika,sathya,soumya,raks,simplylife,sarah,nitha,jayasri,jyothi,sayanthini,krishna,suman,muchcrunch,turmeric ,viki,angie,gouri,babli,fathima,malar,pj,subhie Thanks for the lovely comments dear friends..

Guna's kitchen said...

ripe plantain ???????
its awesome... and so tempting too

Sadhana said...

Looks very nice and going to try the veg version some time.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Wow..This is a new recipe to try.. Looks delicious :)

Prathima P said...

This is very new recepie to me, dnt see it any time..should try once..looks yummy

Vasavi Suresh said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This recipe seems yummy. Never heard of this.

Post a Comment

free counters
Kerala Foods on Foodista
ജാലകം