Okra is also known as ladies finger, in Malayalam it is called as vendakka..We have a variety of our traditional dishes with this vegetable, some of them are vendakka mizhukkupiratti, thoran, vendakka kichadi,theeyal and sambar. Today's special is vendakka aviyal. Aviyal everyone's favorite other than that it is a very healthy and nutritional food as because it has all vegetables. I am not sure how many of you have tried this okra aviyal but i can guarantee ts a very tasty dish and also a good combo with our nadan kuthari rice. While preparing this dish, fry the okra nicely otherwise the mushy (gummy) texture will ruin the entire aviyal. I used to prepare the okra theeyal because its my husband's favorite. nowadays this dish also a occasional visitor in our kitchen.
Hope all of you will try this and enjoy the wonderful taste.
Cost of the item : 1.49$/pound
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
Okra - 10-15 nos
Pearl onion/Red onion : 15 nos /1 medium size
Green Chili : 6 medium
Coconut : 1/2 cup
Cumin seed : 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 spring
Chili powder : 1 tsp
Water : 1/4 cup
Curd: 1 tbs
Oil : 2 Tbs
- Cut each okra into 2 or 3 pieces.Cut the pearl onions into 2 or 3 pieces length wise(Slice the red onion into medium piece if u use red onion ).split the green chili into 2 pieces
- Prepare a coarse paste of Coconut,Cumin seed,Turmeric Powder,Chili powder,green chili.Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the pearl onion ,saute until it gets slight brown color.
- Add the Okra in to the saute onion.Fry for 5 minute in medium heat..Make sure that okra get saute well otherwise the mushy (gummy) texture will be there with the dish..
- Add the coconut mix and curry leaves into the fried okra .Add 1/4 cup of water.cook for about 10 minute.Do not forget to to cover the pan.check whether the okra is cooked or not.
- Just add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, Curd and curry leaves and mix well
- Fry the okra nicely otherwise the oily texture will ruin the whole dish
- Do not add excess water.just 1/4 cup.If you add water for grinding the coconut do not add extra water for cooking the okra.
- If you have pearl onion and Coconut oil use that..It will give more taste to the aviyal.